Monday, September 5, 2011

Salads in the sun


Location:
A braai* at S.O's** house

What I tasted:
As one of a few vegetarians attending a braai, I love to make salads. I made this Mixed Bean salad over the weekend and I loved the freshness and lightness of it after a winter filled with soups, curries and other hearty foods. Here is the recipe:


  • Ingredients: 

A few handfuls of baby spinach, washed, dried and roughly torn.
Cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
Cucumber, chopped
1 tin mixed beans, rinsed and drained
Feta cheese, crumbed

  • Dressing: 

A few tablespoons of avocado oil
Juice of half a small lemon
A splash of white vinegar
Salt and black pepper
A handful of fresh coriander, washed and chopped

  • Method:
Put the beans, cucumber, tomatoes and spinach in a bowl and toss. 
In another bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the dressing, pour over the salad and mix again thoroughly. 
Crumb the feta cheese over the top as a garnish. Serve immediately. 

Disclaimer: Please note, I hardly ever measure exact amounts when I make anything. I usually eye ball the amounts and taste as I go along. 


*Braai: A South African term for barbecue
**S.O: Significant Other

No comments: