Thursday, January 6, 2011

Traffic can be good...sometimes

Location: Driving home from work, usually grid locked with bloody traffic!

What I saw:
I am a bit hazy about which happened first, but I had two sweet experiences while sitting in traffic at the end of 2010.

  • I was trying to get onto the highway from an on-ramp and it was a tight squeeze. The woman behind me (she looked like a typical South African tannie* - short curly hair and a broad face) managed to gap in and she gave me way. Then I needed to get into the next lane, so I indicated. I looked at my blind spot and there she was again, having changed lanes before me. With a wide hand gesture, she she indicated I go in front of her! I was so touched, usually people are just pissed off sitting in traffic. I switched on my hazards to thank her.
  • One day, while driving to work I passed a car where the back seat passenger kept on staring at my car - really staring, like twisting around in the seat so he can see my car while I drove behind them. As I changed lanes to pass them, he gave me a wide smile and a wave! What a great way to start the day!
* Afrikaans term for aunty.

No comments: