What I tasted:
A friend was telling us about her recent honeymoon to Zanzibar and it made me recall a lovely Peas Curry with coconut milk I tasted there. My cravings hit the roof so I decided to make it when I got home, but I added potatoes too. I made the recipe just for myself so the amounts are tiny, you can adjust amounts accordingly.
Potatoes and Peas curry with coconut milk
1 small onion, chopped
2 handfuls of frozen peas, defrosted
1 small potato, cubed
1 small tomato, chopped
2 cardamom pods
1 piece of cinnamon stick
Half tsp salt
Half tsp powdered coriander
Half tsp powdered cumin
Half tsp chilli powder
Half tsp red masala (mixture of red chilli, garlic and ginger. The ratio is 2 parts chilli, to 1 part ginger and 1 part garlic)
Quarter tsp turmeric
Quarter tin of coconut milk
A little olive oil
Handful of fresh coriander
1. Heat the oil in a pot. Throw in the cinnamon stick and cardamom pods.
2. Once you get the smell of the spices, add your onions and fry until golden brown.
3. Add your spices (salt, turmeric, coriander, cumin, red masala and chilli powder) and stir fry till you get the aroma.
4. Add your peas and potatoes and some water and cook till the potatoes are three-quarters done.
5. Add the tomatoes and allow that to cook - 10 min or so should be fine.
6. Add the coconut milk and allow to simmer till you get the consistency you like.
7. Garnish with the fresh coriander, serve with rice and dig in!
Disclaimer: Please note, I hardly ever measure exact amounts. I usually eye ball the amounts and taste as I go along.